These projects have been selected by our independent Grant Review Panel as those that will have the greatest impact in serving uninsured or underinsured women in our service area. Please note that Susan G. Komen for the Cure is not a direct service provider.
2013-2014 Komen Columbus Grants
Total Funding $1,409,604
For directions to any of our Community Grant Recipients, please click here.
Hands of Hope (Southern Ohio Medical Center)
• Serves Scioto County
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics, treatment support and survivorship care planning, in addition to education and outreach. Financial support for genetic testing.
• Community contact: 740-356-7465
• The Hands of Hope grant will provide services to women who are uninsured and underinsured. The services which are provided include the following: clinical breast exams, screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasounds, MRI's, surgical consults, and biopsies. We will also be providing assistance with transportation for mammography and those with a breast cancer diagnosis needing treatment using gas vouchers.
The Latina Breast Cancer Project (OhioHealth Research Institute)
• Serves Clark, Delaware, Fairfield, Fayette, Franklin, Knox, Madison, Marion
• Outreach focus: Patient-navigation and culturally competent education tailored to Latina and Hispanic women.
• Community contact: 614-566-3957
• This project connects Latina women to already existing screening services through community educational programs and a telephone hotline service dedicated to linking women to existing breast cancer screening programs. By increasing knowledge of breast cancer and breast cancer screening and providing a one-stop hotline service for free breast cancer screenings, the project increases screening in a population that has more than doubled in the 1990s in Franklin County.
Memorial Free Mammogram Program (Memorial Health System)
• Serves Washington County
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics and education for un- and under-insured.
• Community contact: 740-568-5492
• Memorial’s Free Mammogram Program will aim to increase the number of (re)screening services and follow up diagnostics provided to an underserved population that includes uninsured and underinsured women age 40+ who are residents of greater Washington County Ohio, in an effort to increase early detection of breast cancer and reduce mortality rates.
Genesis Breast Health Initiative (Genesis HealthCare System)
• Serves Morgan, Muskingum, Perry and contiguous counties
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics and transportation support for un- and under-insured women.
• Community contact: 740-454-5865
• Provides free breast screening services to women in Morgan, Muskingum, Perry, and contiguous counties targeting women who are uninsured or under-insured and do not have funds to obtain.
“No Excuses” Mobile Mammography Screening Program (The Community Mercy Foundation)
• Serves Clark and Champaign counties
• Outreach focus: Mobile and on-site screening and outreach to minority and under and uninsured communities.
• Community contact: 937-390-5030
• Offers mobile unit mammography screenings and clinical breast exams to underserved women in Clark and Champaign Counties.
Yes Maam! (LifeCare Alliance)
• Serves Franklin, Delaware, Licking and Union counties
• Outreach focus: Mobile screenings and education especially focused among minorities, un- and under-insured.
• Community contact: 614-437-2839
• “Yes Ma’am!” is a program of LifeCare Alliance’s Columbus Cancer Clinic. The program provides mobile mammography screenings and breast health education with a focus on minority, under- and un-insured women.
Healthy Adult Project: Breast Screening Program (Ohio University)
• Serves Athens, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton and Washington counties
• Outreach focus: Partners with the Healthy Adult Project to provide screening, patient navigation and education on a mobile unit and on-site at Athens County clinic.
• Community contact: 740-593-2432
• This program provides free clinical breast exams, mammogram vouchers, patient navigation, transportation assistance, and breast health education. Eligible Participants: Uninsured or underinsured women at or below 300% of the poverty level residing in Athens, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton, and Washington Counties
Imaging Outreach: Screening & Diagnostics (OhioHealth Foundation)
• Serves Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Hocking, Knox, Licking, Madison, Marion, Morrow, Perry, Pickaway, Ross, and Union counties
• Outreach focus: Mobile mammography outreach as well as on-site screening and diagnostic assistance.
• Community contact: 614-566-5495
• OhioHealth has a nationally renowned and comprehensive Breast Health Program led by a team of breast health experts. The program consists of research and clinical trials; infusion services; radiation oncology; mammography services; wellness programs; genetic counseling; and breast health navigation services. We are a leading provider of mammography and breast health services in the region, performing more than 80,000 mammograms and 2,000 breast cancer procedures annually.
Mount Carmel Health System Screening, Diagnostics and Treatment (Mount Carmel Health System Foundation)
• Serves Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Licking, Madison and Pickaway counties
• Outreach focus: Screening services and side-effect management for the under and uninsured.
• Community contact: 614-546-3407
• Mount Carmel, through its Women's Health Centers and mobile mammography coach, strives to provide comprehensive breast cancer services to all women. This is done by offering screenings, diagnostic care and lymphedema treatment to women who cannot afford and/or access these services.
Pink Ribbon Initiative (King’s Daughters Medical Center)
• Serves Jackson, Lawrence and Scioto counties
• Outreach focus: Screening and diagnostic services for the un- and under-insured, education. Mobile mammography and risk-reduction education.
• Community Contact: 606-408-9295
• King's Daughters Medical Center's Pink Ribbon Initiative provides screening mammograms and other diagnostic services for uninsured and underinsured residents of Jackson, Lawrence and Scioto counties.
Fayette County Memorial Hospital Partners in Pink Mammography Program (Fayette County Memorial Foundation)
• Serves Fayette County
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics, education and transportation support for under ad uninsured women.
• Community contact: 740-333-2742
• Serves residents of Fayette County & provides: Screening mammograms for uninsured/underinsured women age 40 and over; Diagnostic mammography services to uninsured/underinsured individuals in need of this service regardless of age male or female; Transportation to FCMH for the mammography services as needed; Breast health education emphasis on early detection
OSUCCC Breast Cancer Screening & Early Detection Program (The Ohio State University, James Cancer Hospital, Diversity Enhancement Program)
• Serves Franklin County
• Outreach focus: Culturally competent outreach to African American women, patient navigation, screening, diagnostics and transportation assistance for un- and under-insured women. Partners with Komen Community Health Advisors for outreach and connecting women with resources.
• Community Contact: 614-293-2463
• Screening mammography, diagnostic mammograms, treatment and transportation assistance for those who qualify.
Cure Your Fears (Madison County Hospital Foundation)
• Serves Madison County
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics, transportation support patient navigation and lymphedema management for un- and under-insured.
• Community contact: 740-845-7884
• Cure Your Fears is a program of the Madison County Hospital Foundation, offering free breast cancer screening and diagnosis, and lymphedema therapy. Patient Navigator Ruth Roddy, RN is available to help women through the process (740-845-7884).
Power of Pink (Memorial Hospital of Union County)
• Serves Champaign, Madison and Union counties
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics, treatment support, education and transportation assistance for the un- and under-insured. Survivor support funds available.
• Community contact: 937-578-2488
• The Power of Pink program provides screening mammograms, diagnostic mammograms and breast ultrasounds for those who are uninsured and underinsured. Educational and supportive resource information provided to breast cancer patients. Financial assistance available for special needs items and assistance with transportation to appointments by way of fuel vouchers.
Think Pink Program (Meigs County Cancer Initiative)
• Serves Meigs County
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostic services and education for the un- and under-insured.
• Community contact: 740-992-5469
• Think Pink funds early detection services including screening and diagnostic Mammograms for medically underserved and financially eligible Meigs County women beginning at age 35. We offer quarterly Women’s Health Days, Breast Health Awareness education, access to mobile Mammography, Clinical Breast Exams, gasoline vouchers and networking to access needed follow-up.
Together We Can (Ross County Health District)
• Serves Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Pike, Ross, Scioto and Vinton counties
• Outreach focus: Outreach to rural and Appalachian areas to provide screening, diagnostics, case management and education.
• Community contact: 740-779-0783
• Screening and education services for women 20-64 year olds who are under or uninsured.
Project Hoffnung: The Amish and Mennonite Breast Health Project (Center for Appalachia Research in Cancer Education)
• Serves Fairfield, Gallia, Guernsey, Jackson, Knox, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Perry, Pickaway, Pike and Ross counties
• Outreach focus: Culturally competent education, outreach and screening support to Amish and Mennonite populations.
• Community contact: 877-463-3686
• Project Hoffnung (or “Hope”) was established in 1997 to address health disparities within Amish communities by understanding knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors surrounding cancer issues. A culturally competent breast health program was developed through a series of focus groups, interviews, and a community-led advisory team.
No Excuses (Fairfield Medical Center)
• Serves Fairfield, Hocking and Perry counties
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics and education for un- and under-insured.
• Community contact: 740-243-8924
• This grant services uninsured women in Fairfield, Hocking and Perry Counties in obtaining screening mammograms with a limited number of diagnostic mammograms and ultrasounds.
Screening and Survivor Support (SASS) For Breast Cancer (Licking County Health Department)
• Serves Licking and contiguous counties
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics and survivor support activities. Patient assistance funds available for survivors.
• Community contact: 740-349-6535 opt. 5
• SASS for Breast Cancer provides breast health education, mammograms and further diagnostic screenings for under/uninsured women in Licking & contiguous counties. Women must be over 40 years of age unless history of breast cancer or medical need. Survivor support is also available for women diagnosed with breast cancer in Licking County.
Operation Pink Out (Holzer Health System)
• Serves Athens, Gallia, Jackson, Lawrence and Vinton counties
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics, education and outreach to rural and Appalachian un- and under-insured women.
• Community contact: 740-446-5351
• Free clinical breast exams are provided by health care providers who volunteer their time and mammograms are completed on qualifying women.